Monday, November 9, 2015

It May Not Seem Like I'm Doing Anything....


 

NaBloPoMo Post #9 

But I'm Very Busy Inside My Head! 

 

I may have to give up on NaNoWriMo this year. I can't write with Thomas home every day, bless his heart!


I love him to death, but I'm used to having a certain amount of time during the day when I can, at my leisure, sit down to write as the spirit moves me. If Eler Beth isn't at work, she knows I'm writing, either because I tell her I'm going to write, or she sees me at my computer and from my expression or something, she just knows. Unless it's something very important, she doesn't interrupt me.

But Thomas doesn't know the signs, and if I tell him ahead of time, then he forgets -- bless his heart. Even if I'm in our bedroom or on the front porch using the laptop, there's a good chance that he'll pop in (or out, as the case may be) to ask me something or tell me something.

And if he realizes what he's doing, he'll say something like, "Oh! You should have told me you were writing. Want me to go see what Bob is into?"  And then, perversely, I say, "No! I like having you here."  Because I really do, you know. I'll miss him once his thumb is healed, and he goes back to work. 

 And you know, sometimes when you're writing, you just sit and stare at the computer screen for minutes at a time. It doesn't look like you're doing anything, but in your head there is a LOT that is going on. Thomas is the type of person who is almost always moving. There is always some project for him to get into. He has his wine making. Gun season starts this weekend, so he's prepping for that. He surfs the web and watches funny YouTube videos. He works with wood. He bakes squash pies. He is interested in what the kids are into and how they're doing. He'll pull his guitar out and strum on it for awhile -- well, not so much that with a broken thumb, but you get the point. He is never bored, and he never looks like he is doing nothing. The only indication I might ever get that he is even a little close to being bored is if he turns on the TV and starts flipping channels. And even that isn't a true indicator because he might very well be pretty relaxed and just looking to see if there's anything interesting on. 

The thing is that while he's baking pies, surfing the web or working with his wine, etc., he's talking to me. He loves to talk, to socialize, whereas I live inside my head most of the time. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. He keeps me from living in my head too much, and he has learned over the years that he can appreciate sitting back and being quiet sometimes. But these few weeks are giving me some insight into our retirement years. I know that when that time comes, if I have any deadlines to meet, personal or work imposed, I'm going to have to lay down rules, lock doors, and hang "Writing in Progress" signs. 

I guess I'll enjoy his company while I can, because when he is released to go back to work, between that and deer season, I won't see a lot of him. I'll just have to do my writing then. In the meantime, if I don't succeed with NaNoWriMo, then I don't. 

(Ha Ha!! While I was composing this post, he was in and out of the room talking about one thing and another, and he just now said, "I'm going to leave you alone, now, mom." I love that man!!)

Happy blogging everyone!

~ ~ Lori


 

No comments: