Friday, March 16, 2012

"Mary, Mary"

Day 16 of 31 Days of The Monkees:

"Mary, Mary" was written by Mike Nesmith and features Mickey Dolenz singing lead. It's a good song that, to my mind, showcases both some pretty solid songwriting from Mike and Mickey's strong voice.

The song was actually recorded by The Buttefield Blues Band in 1966 on their album East-West, before the Monkees recorded it for their second album. Then in the 80s, Run-D.M.C. covered it; their version hit the R & B pop charts. The Monkees used the song in five different episodes of their show. The one below is from episode 25: "Alias Mickey Dolenz":




Lyrics:

Mary, Mary, where you goin' to?
Mary, Mary, can I go too.
This one thing I will vow ya,
I'd rather die than to live without ya.
Mary, Mary, where you goin' to?

Mary, Mary, tell me truly
What did I do to make you leave me.
Whatever it was I didn't mean to,
You know I never would try and hurt ya.
Mary, Mary, where you goin' to?

What more, Mary, can I do
To prove my love is truly yours?
I've done more now than a clear-thinkin' man would do.

Mary, Mary, it's not over.
Where you go, I will follow.
'Til I win your love again
And walk beside you,
But until then.
Mary, Mary, where you goin' to?

Mary, Mary, where you goin' to?
Mary, where you goin' to?
Mary, Mary, Mary, Mary, Mary, where you goin' to?
[Repeat ad lib]



"Randy Scouse Git"

"Zor and Zam"

"Valleri"

"Mr. Webster"

"The Girl I Knew Somewhere"

"Zilch"

"Shades of Gray"

"She"


"Your Aunty Grizelda"

"Pleasant Valley Sunday"

"Last Train To Clarksville"

"Papa Gene's Blues"

"This Just Doesn't Seem to be my Day"

"I'm Gonna Buy Me A Dog"

"Early Morning Blues and Greens"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well...how can I not comment on this? ;-) I had it, too..on an actual album. I'm so old.
~Mary