Friday, March 2, 2012

"I'm Gonna Buy Me A Dog"

Day 2 of 31 Days of The Monkees

We've had a terrible string of tornadoes in our area today that devastated one small town North of us, hit several other small towns nearby and killed at least 5 people so far. I'm sure the death toll will rise. Our area was spared, and all of our friends are safe. It has been quite an afternoon. I'm still going to post a Monkees video, though.

This song is from their eponymously named first album, which was released October 10, 1966. I was six months old at the time! lol My sisters P.J. and Lois used to sing this one a lot, one doing Mickey's part and the other doing Davy's heckling part.

A funny one to cheer us up on a sad afternoon: "I'm Gonna Buy Me A Dog", written by Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart, with Mickey on Lead:

Lyrics:

You know my girl just called me up
And she woke me from my sleep
You should have heard the things she said
You know she hurt my feelings deep.
I'm gonna buy me a dog
'Cause I need a friend now.
I'm gonna buy me a dog,
My girl, my girl, don't love me nohow.

She used to bring me my newspaper
'Cause she knew where it was at.
She used to keep me so contented.
But I can teach a dog to do that.
I'm gonna buy me a dog,
'Cause I need a friend now
I'm gonna buy me a dog,
My girl, my girl, don't love me nohow.




"Early Morning Blues and Greens"

2 comments:

TARYTERRE said...

I am glad to hear you are safe and sound following the storm. I'm enjoying this Monkee tribute. Takes me back.

Paula said...

So glad you, your family, and friends are safe.