Saturday, March 31, 2012

"Goin Down"

Day 31 of 31 Days of The Monkees:

Okay, first things first: KY just beat Louisville to advance to the finals, in a game where U of L did a great job and fought a hard fight, but the Cats just fought a bit harder!! And then Kansas upset Ohio State in a very surprising game! So it's Cats VS Jayhawks on Monday!

Okay, so this is my very favorite Monkees song, "Goin' Down", written by Diane Hildebrand, Peter Tork, Mike Nesmith, Davy Jones, and Micky Dolenz, with Micky singing lead. This was the "B" side of "Daydream Believer", and I always preferred it. "Daydream Believer" is a great song, but I never really liked it as well as so many others, and yet it's the one you always heard on the radio. "Goin Down" was supposed to be on the album, "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn, and Jones", but was deleted after "Love Is Only Sleeping" (also a great song!) was included in the album. It was inspired by Mose Allison's song, "Parchman Farm" and began as just a free-form jam until Mike decided it should be recorded.

I'm posting two versions: the first has all the words in the right order; the second is the only live version I've found that I like, but Micky messes up some of the lyrics -- it's still fun to watch, though:



1 comment:

Bea said...

Lori, I hadn't heard this Monkee song before... Mickie was so cute, Davy, Peter, Mike... they all were. I enjoyed reading your post. I loved watching them on tv when I was a teen... of course, I had a crush on Davy. Who didn't? Thanks for keeping up with my blog, A New Bridge. I don't get to write every day, but I can see that changing in the near future. It's good to hear from you always. Bea