Thursday, November 18, 2010

Rainy Day

Well it rained off and on today. Thomas came home early, so he has spent the afternoon and evening packaging up deer. Now I have one upright freezer full of three deer (and a bit of elk left from last year). Still have another upright freezer ready to go.

I was his support staff -- handing him things, fetching, labeling packages and arranging them in the freezer, giving him snacks and drinks, and providing entertainment in the form of an audio book that I've been wanting him to listen to. He has to keep busy if he listens to a book, otherwise he falls asleep.

I guess that's about it for today.

1 comment:

Gerry said...

Mm, that venison sounds very tasty to me. Eler Beth's doe is probably going to be very tender. Takes me back to days of venison, potatoes and gravy. One of my BFs who was an enthusiastic hunter was always taking me out in the wilds with him, and I was with him when I viewed the first deer I ever saw shot. It was a little bit unsettling to me despite deer coming in our alfalfa fields for years. But the venison was always best shot in the fall. I know that from cooking it all the time. People even made mince meat from it. Then when the rangers started cracking down people had more trouble living off the land.