Wednesday, November 4, 2009

That Crunchy Time of Year

My front yard is once again full of crunchy, red and brown maple leaves. I do love the sound they make when I walk down to get the mail every day. I like leaving them on my yard longer than my neighbor, Ms. B, probably likes. I like the way lawns look covered in leaves. I do need to get Andrew to clean out my gutters though.

We had a little rain this morning, and it was chilly and cloudy. By noon the rain had stopped, the sun had come out, and the temps warmed up to around 60°. I couldn't take Eler Beth on any little side trips today because I just had too much to do this afternoon, so she was very bored. Even after the sun came out she didn't want to go outside, and she never even asked to go to a friend's house after school, so I guess she's just having one of those blah days we all have sometimes when we don't really want to do anything but still we're bored.

I was noticing when we drove out to the grocery this evening that another house on our street has a For Sale sign up. I think that makes three just on our street, and there are several in the neighborhood. When I pointed it out Eler Beth said, "Oh that's the one with the cute little shelty! I'll miss that dog!" She still knows all the dogs and cats and birds in the neighborhood and identifies the houses by them more so than by the people who live in them.

I also noticed that several houses on the street that have siding have green mold growing on them. My neighbor across the street was talking about how bad it is on one side of her house but that she just can't afford to hire anyone to do anything about it. I guess most of us are in that boat and are having to put off doing some maintenance on our homes.

Well, once again I'm getting this in under the wire, and I don't really have anything interesting to talk about. It has been a typical fall day. Our weather is supposed to be very nice for several days, so hopefully we'll get out with the camera and do some more exploring downtown. I hope everyone is having a very nice fall so far. Ta for now!

6 comments:

betty said...

was wonderfing if you would be posting today

love to see the leaves falling and crunch them as you walk on them; sadly we don't get much of that here

sign of the times, I fear, with so many houses for sale :(

betty

Traci said...

My favorite thing to do is walk in the leaves. Walking to school was my favorite time to do it! That and crunching the ice off of the edges of puddles in the winter!

Lisa said...

I enjoy the leaves on our lawn too. Doug attempted to rake one year but quickly realized it was futile with the open fields blowing more leaves in daily. I find I always know where my dogs are with the leaves crunching.

There are quite a few large farms for sale in our area. The farmers can't afford to keep producing while they are getting less $$. It is really quite sad.

Rose said...

I love to take walks and kick the leaves like I did when I was a kid. we wait to blow ours as the the wind blows the rest of the neighborhood's down to our house!

Martha said...

Can't wait to see some photos. Hope Eler Beth is back to herself this evening. I love walking on the fall leaves too but here in Florida they are nonexistent :-(

Debbie said...

Our Maple's are hanging onto their leaves for dear life this year. The leaves on the water Maple are still green. The weather is supposed to be nice tomorrow but windy so maybe the sugar Maple will lose it's leaves and I can start mulching them before the weather gets too cold.