Saturday, November 23, 2013

Observant and Confident Daughters

For Better or For Worse, Thursday, November 21, 2013


This reminds me of Eler Beth. I can remember working a lot of overtime when she was about 4 years old, and sometimes Thomas would start dinner for me. He would tell me how she would know exactly where I kept everything, and she would correct him if he cooked or cleaned anything differently from me. "That's not how Mom does it," she'd say, and then proceed to tell him how to do it. He took it with good grace.

When our local Meijer first opened, it was the first store in our area with the self checkout, U-Scan lanes. Once when she was about four years old, she was in there with her Dad, checking out, and it was one of the first times he'd used the self checkout. Whatever it was he was trying to buy wouldn't scan. He kept running it over the scanner, but for some reason it wouldn't scan. (Apparently he wasn't doing it right! lol)  She couldn't even see over the top of the counter, but, without saying a word, she reached up, took the item from him and ran it across the scanner.  The scanner beeped, and she popped it into the bag. Thomas said an elderly couple in line behind him burst out laughing. 

That's my girl! She has always been observant and confident, and ready to take charge when needed!

4 comments:

Paula said...

This reminds me a little of Leah Beth, my youngest. She would always direct us when driving, always remember how to get any place we had been before when she was just a young child.

Rose said...

Children are so smart. They always amaze me because they are so observant.

Great story!

TARYTERRE said...

LOVe the cartoon. KIds are simply amazing.

Ken Riches said...

Great memory!