Sunday, April 26, 2009

I Have Never Fallen FLAT On My Face . . .

... until today!!

I've heard people describe falling -- "and I fell flat on my face" -- but they don't usually mean that they literally fell FLAT on their face. Usually they just mean they fell forward pretty hard and heavily and hit the ground. I do know one lady who fainted and fell FLAT on her face, and she had the scrapes and bruises and concussion to show for it.

Well today I did it, and thankfully it wasn't on concrete.

I was in the back yard. I turned quickly and started to step forward just as I turned. Eler Beth's terrier, Little Bit, unknown to me, was either sitting right at my feet or she ran in front of me just as I moved, because I tripped over her. It wasn't a normal trip and fall. It felt as if my feet didn't actually move at all, like I was glued to the ground and just tipped over. I really don't know how I did it. All I know was that I had a quick impression of a black and white dog at my feet and then my knees were bending quickly as if someone had shoved me from behind and told me to "kneel!", and my upper half was speedily meeting the ground. When I hit the ground I was on my shins and knees, and I had bent my arms at the elbows so that on either side of my face my upper arms and open palms hit the ground a split second before my face did. I remember saying, "Well, shoot!" as I was headed to the ground, and the next thing I knew my face was FLAT on the ground in four inches of grass.

Eler Beth said she heard me call out something and turned just in time to see me on the ground, looking as if I were doing an act of obeisance to something or someone. Well, she didn't say that. What she said was, "Mom, it looked like you were worshipping something!!"

I slowly pushed myself up, giggling, and then just sat there laughing. My face had started itching from the grass almost immediately. Eler Beth ran to me. "What happened!? Are you okay?!"

I couldn't stop laughing, so she joined in, and the dogs of course came over to see why Mom was acting nutty, so it was a minute or so before I managed to stand up. Then I hurried inside to wash my face, because it was really itching horribly.

So now I can literally say that I have fallen FLAT on my face!

And how has YOUR Sunday been?

18 comments:

Beth said...

Not nearly as exciting! :) And believe me, if I'd fallen like that, you wouldn't be hearing "Well shoot!" come out of my mouth! LOL

I'm glad you are okay. That could have been bad news.

Lynne said...

LOL, I'm glad you are okay. The "Bear" took me out but I landed on my back, with two sprained ankles and a gash in one that almost required stitches. She was chasing a squirrel.

Connie said...

That is frightening to know you're going down and don't know if you're going to be hurt when you land. glad you were alright...
BTW our grandsons have a Pom named Little Bit,LOL.
((Momma calls him little shit))But the boys call him little bit!!

Cindi said...

my Sunday compared to yours...umm...UPLIFTING...lol Hope you are feeling ok...;)

Joann said...

I'm very glad that you are fine and able to laugh about it!! Glad it was on GRASS that you fell.

nancy said...

I guess we all have fallen like that. I don't recall when. I am glad that you were on the grass not the concrete. Your little one cracked me up saying the "Worship thing". Glad you're okay. I had a nice easy warm Sunday. Have a great week.Nancy

Cal Dream Squirrel said...

glad to see you are OK, my mom fell flat on her face in front of me and I think it was scarier for me! she had a scrape across her nose and banged her knee...!

got to watch those feet!

Veronica

Anne said...

It's the being able to get up that is important! Thankfully you were able to do so. It's such a shock, isn't it? I've done it so many times and the shock is still there. I'm glad you didn't break anything. Wrist breaks are usually done that way. My day? I've been to Surprise, AZ to visit my son, DIL and grandkids. (I'm tired! or "tarred" as we say in Kentucky)Anne

D said...

I've fallen like that and now I'm extra careful.. with the foot issues I have I'm not nearly as steady as I use to be. Glad you are ok!!
My Sunday was relaxing....
hugs
My Blog

Charley said...

Thanks for the smile :).

My six week old daughter was Miss Fussy McFussersons yesterday, so it was a day of stress :) I think I felt my hair begin to turn grey!

ADB said...

LOL I didn't go down flat on my face - I'm glad you landed in grass.

sober white women said...

I have done stuff like that before! LOL Did you get all of your planting done?
Kelli

Lisa said...

Oh my dear sweet friend I am so glad you are okay!!!! That fall could have been really awful... so glad you are all right!! God Bless you and hugs to Eler Beth! Glad she was there to help her mommy up.
Lisa in KY

hedwiggy8 said...

I' really glad you weren't hurt and could just laugh about it in the end. I must say I have fallen a number of times but never on my face. Hope your week goes well.

Janie said...

Oh wow! Sure glad that you didn't get hurt. I fall all the time and it is scary!! Hate to see what I am like when I get really older! Hope you have a great week. Blessings, Janie

Sarahmac said...

Thanks Dusty - thia made ma laugh out loud. Also brought back memories of a lovely pair of red pixie boots I had in the 80's. I loved them, wore them all the time. Trouble was they had NO grip at all, and I used to fall over about twice a day! The funniest was walking between a2 ros of cars, my friend on one side of the cars and me on the other. We were chatting....and he said all of a sudden I just disappeared! He came round to see what had happened, and I was a giggling heap on the floor. Why is it that falling over is so funny?!!

Anonymous said...

sheesh...but I do hope you are not having any after effects from your "falling on your face" !!! and as I am catching up on my blogs reading...about that company from H...!!! I would most certainly cancel the order...surely you guys can find what you want somewhere else..??? boy what a hoo hoo!!! hope all is going well now....hugs from Ora

bj said...

Hi...just over from the Blogging Party...
Happy day,
bj