Saturday, March 21, 2009

Someone's Not Feeling Well

I thought Eler Beth was getting sick last weekend, but she got over it quickly. By Sunday afternoon she was as bouncy as ever. She was fine when she went fishing on Wednesday, but by Friday she was feeling bad again. I think it's just allergies, but she's getting a lot of congestion in her chest, and last night she was up coughing.

I'll probably have to take her to the urgent care center tomorrow for some medicine. I don't think I'll want to wait until Monday. I've doctored her up all day, but about an hour ago she started REALLY complaining about the coughing; and it is getting worse. She has been adamantly against taking Thera-Flu, which I know will relieve the cough. I had told her earlier that if the cough came back really bad tonight, that she'd either have to take the Thera-Flu or some whiskey, honey, and lemon. She chose the whiskey, honey, and lemon. So I mixed some up for her and she took the first tablespoon easily. The second one didn't go down quite so well, though. I didn't push for a third.

A few minutes ago she came to me, crying, complaining of being dizzy. "Whisky can make you drunk, right?" she whimpered. "You get dizzy when you're drunk, don't you?"

I assured her that she was probably dizzy from the congestion in her head, and that the amount of whiskey she had had would neither have made her drunk nor dizzy. Poor baby. I hope she can drop off to sleep soon and get a good night's rest.

We had some rain Wednesday night and Thursday morning, and the temps were 20 degrees colder than the day before. But Thursday afternoon was full of very bright sunshine, and we've had nothing but sun and fairly mild temperatures since. Okay, I guess that catches up my rather boring week. I hope everyone is having a good weekend, and I'll try to get by to say hi to each of you soon.

15 comments:

Rose said...

spring seems to bring the great weather AND the sickies! hope she's feeling better soon!

Amy said...

awww....poor thing! I have been congested, too, but I always start my mornings with coffee and a Benadryl chaser.

Paula said...

Sorry Eler Beth isn't feeling well. It is really hard to get rid of those coughs. Lately I chew gum a lot to keep moisture in my throat.

Anne said...

Ahhhhh, give her a hug from me. When I get I cough it often goes into bronchitis. Drinking plenty of water thins your mucus out and that is benificial. I hope she sleeps well tonight and YOU too! Anne

Lynne said...

Poor lamb! I had that cough crud in January and it seemed to take forever to get out of my system. I hope she feels better soon. Mucinex D might be the ticket too. Praying God will touch her and heal her body! Have a restful day!

Anonymous said...

I would have taken the whiskey, honey and lemon too, but I actually like being dizzy ;-0.
I do feel badly for her and am hoping by now she is somewhat better. Spring illness is common, but it doesn't make it hurt any less.~Mary

Ken Riches said...

Hope Eler Beth recoups fast like last weekend.

Beth said...

My dear Aunt Bert (Cousin Shane's mom) always took whiskey, honey, and lemon when she had a cough like that. I can't hear of that remedy without thinking of her.

I hope Eler Beth feels better. When I was coughing a lot due to smoking, I found that Mucinex really helped. Maybe she'd prefer a pill to TheraFlu (isn't that the liquid stuff?).

Hugs, Beth

Joann said...

My mom used to give me that when I was little... hate whiskey to this day... LOL!!! Well, I sure hope baby girl is feeling better very soon. That really should help her.

Missie said...

I don't anything works better than whisky, honey and lemon.

Hope she feels better soon.

Gerry said...

Oh sorry about Eler Beth but it does worry moms when a nasty sounding cough develops. Seems like it helps to let the doctor check her out. I did smile because she was worried she was drunk on your old fashioned cure. Well, I hope she stays wary of that stuff when she gets to the dangerous experimental age.

Pamela said...

I make tea, with a shot of honey and lemon and it hits the spot when I'm sick. Never had it with Whiskey. I'll try that! Hope she feels better soon. Allergy season is upon us. UGH! Everyone craves Spring, and I can't stand it LOL! Hope you have a good night.

Wes said...

I hope yours feels better soon! No one's life is boreing, only tame at times.

Peace&love
Wes

Connie said...

Up here there is a little known(actually it's very old-but no one seems to use it anymore) cough medicine called creomulsion-it's on the bottom shelf of the pharmacy-tastes like tar[but the grandsons LOVE it]it really does the job.BTW- I LOVE-Love-love-'To know him is to love him' One of my all-time FAVS. Hope she gets better-hope you all have that cough med where you live and try it...the pharmacist steered me to it-said it's the best..don't taste like it-but it sure works!!

Connie said...

I have lost my link to The Fox Diarys..I made ElerBeth a tag it's at
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x77/ladyfink_photos/CONNIES%20NEWEST%20CREATIONZ/ConnieCreated_TheFox_ForYOU.jpg

if she would like it.
Hugs,connie