Sunday, November 23, 2008

"And this our life, . . . finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything." William Shakespeare ~~

(From As You Like It, Act II, Scene I)


It is quite sunny and nice here today, even if it is only 49°F at the moment. I'm trying to make the most of it today because we're once again supposed to have rain and cooler temps tomorrow.

Nine days ago I made my first attempt at the Friendship Bread, and I never did post what kinds I made. Thomas loves anything with lots of raisins, so the first one was just simply cinnamon and raisin. Then I made a cranberry/raisin/apple/cinnamon/almond, and it was a big hit. The third was the chocolate/chocolate chip that I'd mentioned, and the fourth one was banana and walnut. We each had some fresh and hot, then I sent most of the rest to work with Thomas where it went over very well with the guys and gals in the office. Tomorrow it's time to make some more. My sister made a chocolate/cherry last week that I might have to try, and Thomas would like something with peaches, so we'll just see what I'm in the mood to put together and what kind of ingredients I have on hand. I think one or two will be going to a neighbor.

I've been reading a lot lately and have several books to write about and recommend on my book blog. Also, has anyone here ever read
The Essays of Ralph Waldo Emerson? I did recently, and one of my favorites is "The American Scholar's Address". I would recommend it. I'm definitely going to write about it on DP Book Shelves.

That's it for now. Just felt like popping in to say hi to everyone.

Today's SALUTE from my visitors' locations goes to ~~

Ocala, Florida

population 53,491

and located 664 miles from me

(and which is also the home of my niece Sheila -- Sassy, is that you visiting from Ocala??)

Sa-LUTE!


16 comments:

Lynne said...

The Friendship Bread sounds like a hit indeed! Hope you have a nice remainder to this weekend! God Bless!

Barbara In Caneyhead said...

Ah, friendship bread! It's good, but I don't think I'll ever get back into the making of it again....unless maybe when I'm old and retired. ;o)

We have warmer, mugger temps today and rain expected as well. Supposed to bring another, milder front.

Anonymous said...

well that seems nice!

ADB said...

Friendship bread, interesting, Lori. Never heard of it before! Have a great evening.

Guido

Martha said...

The friendship bread sounds wonderful! Hope you have a great week! :-)

Beth said...

I've been through Ocala--beautiful horse farms!

I seem to recall reading a few Emerson essays in school, but it's been years. I'll look forward to seeing what you have to say about them.

Beth

Yasmin said...

The Friendship bread sounds great as there is only me there is little point in baking, I'm sadly remiss of late in my reading, but I'll lokk into your reccomendation.

Yasmin
xx

natalie said...

Dearest Lori, hi! Thanks for telling us about friendship bread! It reminds me of a Dutch bread that is delicious! Did the kids like it?
Happy thanksgiving!
love and hugs
natalie

Wes said...

The bread sounds wonderful, and now your going to make have to use the bread maker.

I love Ralph Waldo Emerson, and own this book. One of my favorite lines goes like this "To beleive your own thought, to beleive what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men-that is genius."

I also love the writings of Henry David Thoreau. Please try reading "The Portable Thoreau" if you have not.

Thank you for your entry, and I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow.

Peace&Love
Wes

Sage Ravenwood said...

I have brothers and sister in Ocala. We don't talk but that's besides the point. I've never read the afore mentioned book hon. I'm definitely looking for it now. Loved the quote at the top of this entry. (Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing about that Friendship bread! Happy thanksgiving!

Lisa said...

That friendship Amish bread sounds wonderful!! I've been through the Ocala National Forest and parts of Ocala and we have many happy pictures from our hike through the forest. Love that Shakespeare quote!! Now that is a great outlook to have. I started reading some of Emerson and need to finish but have not gotten very far yet. Happy THanksgiving to you and yours and thank you so much for leaving so many kind comments to me through the custody battle. I am so thankful it is over and that we won!!!!!
Lisa

Ben said...

I haven't seen friendship bread in years. You're patient to make it!

Have a great Thanksgiving, Lori.

Ben
http://ben-better_left_unsaid.blogspot.com/

Martha said...

Just stopping in to wish you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving! Hugs! :-)

Lisa said...

I wanted to stop by and wish you a happy thanksgiving!!

I've never heard of friendship bread but it sounds like you've made some wonderful bread, especially the banana & walnut!!!
MMMMMM...good!!

Unknown said...

Happy late Thanksgiving! Hope you had a great one! I love friendship bread!