Tuesday, December 2, 2008

I'm On A Quest . . .

to find this poem. I'm hoping that someone out there can help me locate it. The last two lines of the poem are:

"The next time that I take a walk, I think I'll see an elf,
'Cause the next time that I take a walk, I'll take it by myself."

This was in a scholastic literature book back in the seventies when I was in elementary school. The poem was a few stanzas long and was about two children taking a walk. One child is very imaginative and the other isn't. The imaginative one keeps seeing fanciful things and drawing the other child's attention to it; for instance he may see a leaf and tells the other child that it's an elf in little pointed shoes, but then the other child says, no, that's just a leaf; so whatever the one imagines he sees, the other one bursts his bubble by telling him what it REALLY is. So the first child finally decides that the next time he takes a walk, he'll go alone so he can see what he WANTS to see. It's a wonderful poem!

My mother, who is 85, thinks she remembers the poem from when she was young, so it could be very old (then again, she may just remember reading it in our school book). I am in America, but it could be a poem from another country. I have googled the last two lines but so far haven't been able to find anything. If anyone has heard of or read this poem or remembers reading it in school, please let me know all that you remember. And if anyone knows the name of the poem or the author, I may have to leave you something in my will!

Thank you!

3 comments:

Beth said...

Lori, looks like I'm out of the will, because I don't know it. I tried a couple of different search engines, and couldn't find anything. I hope someone can help you!

Beth

Joyce said...

Like Beth I tried several ways to search and came up empty. Sorry. I'll give it another try tomorrow.
Hugs, Joyce

sober white women said...

I have never heard of it, sorry I can't help.
Kelli