Friday, March 23, 2012

"What Am I Doing Hanging 'Round?"

Day 23 of 31 Days of The Monkees:

The kids enjoyed the movie last night, but lamented the changes and omissions that were made. It would be hard to make a movie out of that book without some changes, but if you've read the books, then they will bother you! All-in-all it was "pretty good", they said, and they really enjoyed going early with their friends. It turned out they had quite a group with them.

Today's song was written by Michael Martin Murphey and Owens Castleman, with Mike on lead. Mike chose this song for the album because of its country sound and because Murphey was a good friend of his. It is from their fourth album. The lyrics are good, and it is perfect for Mike's voice.

Lyrics:


Just a loud mouth Yankee I went down to Mexico.
I didn't have much time to spend, about a week or so.
There I lightly took advantage of a girl who loved me so.
But I found myself a-thinkin' when the time had come to go...

[Chorus:]
What am I doin' hangin' round?
I should be on that train and gone.
I should be ridin' on that train to San Antone,
What am I doin' hangin' round?

She took me to the garden just for a little walk.
I didn't know much Spanish and there was no time for talk.
Then she told me that she loved me not with words but with a kiss.
And like a fool I kept on thinkin' of a train I could not miss...

[Chorus]

Well it's been a year or so, and I want to go back again.
And if I get the money, well I'll ride the same old train.
But I guess your chances come but once and boy I sure missed mine.
And still I can't stop thinkin' when I hear some whistle cryin'....

[Chorus]




"Star Collector"

"Daily Nightly"

"Love Is Only Sleeping"

"The Door Into Summer"

"When Love Comes Knocking At Your Door"

"Mary, Mary"

"No Time"

"Randy Scouse Git"

"Zor and Zam"

"Valleri"

"Mr. Webster"

"The Girl I Knew Somewhere"

"Zilch"

"Shades of Gray"

"She"


"Your Aunty Grizelda"

"Pleasant Valley Sunday"

"Last Train To Clarksville"

"Papa Gene's Blues"

"This Just Doesn't Seem to be my Day"

"I'm Gonna Buy Me A Dog"

"Early Morning Blues and Greens"

No comments: