Saturday, August 14, 2010

August 14, 1989, My Son Was Born

Twenty-one years ago this morning I awoke about 3 a.m. I was nine months pregnant. My doctor had put my due date at August 21. Thomas was sure I'd deliver on August 16, because that was the new moon. And I had told everyone that I was sure the baby would come on August 14. No one believed me, but I was right, wasn't I? (If you don't want to read the birth story, then you may want to skip to the pictures.)

That morning I went to the bathroom and w
hile I was taking care of my business I heard from inside my body -- I swear I heard it from the inside -- a loud pop, and it was soon very apparent that my water had broken. When I thought it was safe to leave the bathroom I woke up Thomas. "My water just broke." He said, "Are you sure?" Yes, I was sure!

He called my doctor, then my sister Dennice, who w
as going to pick up Mom and meet us at the hospital. When I thought I had lost all my fluid I took a shower, did my hair and my make-up -- yes, they tell you to do that!! --, and got dressed. We made sure my seat of the car was protected, just in case, and Thomas took my bags and the baby's car seat out to the car. Then we left for the 45-minute drive to Humana Southwest, in Louisville.

On the way, Thomas dr
ove very carefully and within the speed limit -- or at least, very close! --, but whenever I had a contraction I couldn't help but make a noise, and I'd notice his foot press down a little harder on the gas pedal. That made me smile inside, even though I couldn't say anything about it out loud. We got to the hospital emergency room, and when I walked in the clerk on duty said, "What are you here for?" Well, I hadn't lost all my fluid at home, and, as a matter of fact, I was still losing it when I walked into the hospital, so it seemed to me that she could have taken one look at me and known what I was there for, but I just said, "I'm in labor."
e took a picture, though. I hope this doesn't offend anyone. I was 23 years old in this picture, and Thomas and I had been married for 2-1/2 years. I look much younger, though, don't I?

My water broke at 3 a.m. and by 8:25 my baby boy was
born. In between that time, while going through my labor and waiting for my doctor to get there, I really rather enjoyed what I was going through. I didn't take anything, so I was very much aware of everything that was going on. The nurse who attended me was one we'd gotten to know when I was at the hospital with a kidney infection at 5 months. It was really nice that she was helping out in maternity that night. When we'd met her before, we'd discovered that she and her husband had a property on Rough River Lake, and we'd traded a lot of fishing stories. So, once again, she and Thomas got into discussions about fishing. As my contractions would build, they'd see it on the monitor, and their conversation would get louder and faster, one of them on one side of me and one on the other, talking over me. Then when the contractions subsided they would slow down and get quieter. Inside I was laughing hilariously, but, once again, I wasn't able to laugh out loud!

At one point the maternity nurse had told me
I only had to count to five, instead of to 10 during my breathing, but when the other nurse, our fishing friend, came in she was still having me count to 10. I couldn't talk, and I had my eyes closed, but I snapped my fingers and held out my hand with five fingers spread. My Mom, also in the room, said, "Oh, she's telling you that the other nurse said she only had to count to five." Our nurse laughed and said, "Well, that's funny that she's telling me!"

BoldThey wouldn't let me push, and I. Really. Wanted. To. Push. At one point I was clinging to Thomas' hand when a really bad contraction hit me. I heard a quick intake of breath, and felt him take hold of my hand with his free hand and loosen my grip on his thumb. He told me later that I had bent his thumb all the way back, and he thought I was going to break it. Again, when I heard him and felt what he was doing, I knew what I had almost done, and I laughed inside.

When my doctor got there, she came in briskly, sho
ok hands with Thomas, took one look at me and said, "Push!" Oh, that was heaven!! I'd wanted to push for at least 30 minutes before she got there, but they wouldn't let me! lol They barely got me into the stirrups and Thomas gowned before my baby crowned.

hen he was born, my doctor announced it was a boy -- we hadn't known beforehand --, and Thomas said, "Looks like I've got a little fishing partner!" The doctor said, "Well, not for a while yet." Little did she know!!

An hour later I was eating a full breakfast of bacon, eg
gs, toast, cereal, juice, and even a little decaffeinated tea. I had thoroughly enjoyed the experience, and I am not kidding or exaggerating. I was in labor only 5 hours, and only about an hour of it was really painful labor.

My eight-pound baby was chalk white when he was born, except for the u
pper parts of his ears, which were a little darker. While I was in the hospital with him a friend of ours sent word to me through my sister Lois that he would be as dark as his ears, and I thought, "Oh! So that's why there's almost a visible line there where it's darker." No one else had noticed, but believe me, I had examined my little son very carefully. I loved that she had thought to send me that message, and I have passed that information on to anyone I know who's having a bi-racial child. (They usually have their "color" by four months.) Because he was so light, Thomas had an interesting experience. He was looking at Andrew and the other babies in the nursery when another father came up and said, "So. Which one's yours?" It was funny because Andrew was the only "black" baby in there, but you couldn't tell him from the "white" babies.

are a few pics of Andrew (Thomas Andrew Helms II) when he was young. I can't believe my firstborn is 21 today!!

Daddy with his son the morning after we brought him home.
With Aunt Barbara's cat,

Posing in front of Mamaw's jo
A chilly fall day at Rough River.
Helping Papaw dig a hole to plant a tree.
Papaw's showing him how to hold it up straight wh
ile he fills in the dirt.
Mamaw, lending a hand.
Celebrating with a little chocolate after planting
the tree.
Four-year old Drew dancing with my grand-nie
ce Summer (Sheila's daughter, four months younger than Drew), at my niece Evonne's wedding reception. They were the "miniature bride and groom" in the wedding party.
Getting to know his newborn sister, Eler Beth.Patting Eler Beth on the back while she naps in his lap.Showing off a nice catch (and some nice little muscles, too!).
Showing off another nice catch!
First day of kindergarten.

I might put some more on here later.


Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Happy Andrew's Birthday :o)

Emmi said...

What a beautiful story. Happy birthday to your son.

Coelha :B said...

So cute...thanks for sharing! Cute pictures! Happy Birthday, Andrew! Julie :)

nancy said...

Funny how we see how far we get. Happy Birthday to your son.

Traci said...

So sweet! Tell him Happy Late Birthday!

DB said...

Aww. Great story about the birth and also the pictures. Thank you.

A late Happy Birthday.


Anonymous said...

I'm thinking he is a human reservoir of joy for you. This is beautifully pictured/written. ~Mary

ADB said...

Congrats to Andrew on his birthday, and of course to you too!

lisaschaos said...

I hope he had a wonderful birthday! I didn't know that about the color. It sounds like your husband was a wee bit nervous too but what a great guy to get you to the hospital safely and remember to take a photo! Wow!

Linda :) said...

Happy Birthday!
Wonderful story and such cute pictures... :)


Happy Belated Birthday to your son. He's a handsome fella. Great story about his birth. Loved the pictures.

Nelishia said...

I was so touched by the story. I could almost hear the sigh of relief in your voice. I didn't know that about the ears either. Loved seeing the pictures.

Beth said...

Awww, happy birthday (albeit belated) to Andrew! Loved the pictures!