Friday, October 23, 2009

My November "To Be Read" List

In case anyone is interested --

The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. This book was written in 1983 but somehow escaped my notice. I read a review of it recently and thought it would be something I'd like to read -- a medieval abbey, famous for its library, and someone killing off the monks? How could that not be a great read!

Triangle by Katharine Weber. In 2007 this book won one literary award and was a finalist for two other awards, and was on the long list for a third literary award in 2008. Again, it somehow escaped my notice when it was published but I'll hopefully remedy that in November. This book is a fictional novel based on a real event, the 1911 Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire in New York.

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. I read a review of "Sweetness" and knew that I would have to make the acquaintance of 11-year-old detective/heroine Flavia Deluce. Can't wait to read this one!

What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America, 1815-1848 by Daniel Walker Howe, Pulitzer Prize for History winner. This is part of The Oxford History of the United States series. I listened to an interview with the author and knew I'd enjoy reading the book.

Anyone care to read one of these along with me and discuss it?

I have a feeling the weather this winter is going to give me plenty of reading time!

5 comments:

Yasmin said...

Name of the Rose is a fantatic novel..and the film pretty good too, I've not heard of the others..I have been neglectful of my reading of late.

Hope you are well

Take care

Yasmin
xx

Beth said...

I'm still behind on my book club list, or else I'd take you up on one or more of these! Enjoy!

Missie said...

I really wish I could just sit and read a good book! Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Debbie said...

I hope you enjoy reading your books this winter. I'm too busy reading blogs to sit and read a novel. If all this rain is any indication of how our winter is going to be, we'll be snowbound for months. Yuck!

I Have Tea said...

Isn't November the month of Write a Novel in 30 Days? We should participate, Lori, just for the fun of it.

It's good to read you again.