Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Letters From Barbara

Barbara still writes letters. You know, actual hand-written, stick-a-stamp-on-it-and-put-it-in-the-mailbox letters.

Barb is my sister closest to me in age. I've written about her here, and mentioned her in other posts. I posted a few pictures here.  She's a private person, not computer-savvy and doesn't want to be, and in a lot of ways I'm closer to her than to my other siblings. She has always written letters to me since I've been married, but for the past several months she's been writing me once a week. It started because she wanted to get rid of some old cards and writing paper that she had, and she enjoyed it so much that she has kept it up. Sorry to say I don't respond weekly like I should. She also weekly writes our sister, Midge, in Florida and to one of our first cousins, Sharon.


I love Barbara's letters. She's a very talented writer, and it shows, even in a simple letter to me. There is often something funny that she tells me about or some strange thing she's been thinking of, and I almost always get a smile, a chuckle, or even a belly-laugh out of her letters. So I have decided, after long consideration, to share some of her letters here on my blog. I don't think she'd mind too much. After all, Midge and I often tell friends about things she's written to us, and that's what I'd be doing on here as well. And sometimes her letters are much more interesting, funny, and blog-worthy than anything I could think of to write.  (The picture is of Barbara holing me in 1966.)

So expect Letters from Barbara in the near future.

4 comments:

Nelishia said...

I look forward to it.

Paula said...

I'll be looking forward to reading your post Lori.

TARYTERRE said...

That should be fun. I write my best friend two to three times a week. Something about putting a real pen to paper.

Beth said...

I'm sure they will be very enjoyable reads!

I used to write "marathon" letters. 20+ pages, front and back. Years of lab work took their toll on my hands and wrist, and I can't really do that anymore.

However, it still gives me great pleasure to write the occasional note, even if it's a brief one. Perhaps the letters from your sister will inspire us all to write to our family and friends a little more often!